The primary goal of the Learning and Cognition Handbook assignment is to integrate concepts from the discipline of learning and cognitive psychology into a usable and professional guide that is designed for a specific audience based on your career goals. The purpose of this handbook is to share helpful strategies and apply what you have learned from the course to six major topics in the field. You will incorporate your findings from required sources and the relevant sources you researched in the Week 2 Discipline-Based Literature Review, as well as those from the Week 3 Assignment: Choosing Your Focus.
To complete this assignment, you may utilize the or create your own using the template as a guide. Your handbook should include the sections listed below, incorporating a minimum of one visual (e.g., ) with a maximum of five visuals per section. Each image must be retrieved and cited based on current copyright laws. You may wish to use the guide for assistance with accessing freely available public domain and/or Creative Commons licensed images.
Table of Contents
List all sections and subsections included in the handbook with the applicable page numbers.
Preface (100 to 150 words)
Provide an overview of the handbook and its potential use by your chosen audience.
Introduction to the Major Topics (200 to 300 words)
Provide an introductory summary of the six topics listed below and discuss any careers in psychology specifically related to at least one of them: Career (Teacher)
- Traditional learning theories: Operant and classical conditioning
- Traditional learning theories: Behaviorism and social learning theory
- Attention and memory
- Language acquisition
- Organizational and lifelong learning
Describe how one or more of these areas may be connected to your future career goals. Assignment: Learning and Cognition Handbook(Teacher)
Major Topics (1 to 2 pages for each major topic)
Communicate the extent to which the six major topics of learning and cognition affect related sub-topics by synthesizing the course learning principles and/or theories. Consider how these sub-topics may be related to your future career goals. For instance, if you intend to become an applied behavior analyst, behaviorism and related technique for learning may be directly connected to your future role. For each major topic, apply basic research methods and skeptical inquiry to explain the theoretical perspectives and empirical research that substantiate the relationship between the topic and at least two related sub-topics. In your review, consider how these topic and sub-topics are directly connected to evaluations and interventions in psychology practice in various fields. Focus on the areas most related to your future area of practice, paying particular attention to how theories are examined in research studies. The following are some sub-topics to consider:
- Operant and classical conditioning
- Social learning theory
- Problem solving
- Memory development/retention
- Lifelong learning
- Individual and group learning
- Organizational learning
- Apprenticeship models of learning
- Effects of demographic differences (e.g., gender, socioeconomics, religious affiliation, race) on learning
Although creative liberties are encouraged, all information incorporated should be supported and professionally presented through the consistent application of ethical principles and adherence to professional standards of learning and cognition psychology as applied to the chosen audience. Assignment: Learning and Cognition Handbook
CHOOSING YOUR FOCUS 2
People make decisions on a daily basis. Every occupation involves some levels of people
making different choices. When employees and managers can make the same decisions, the
workplace thrives, and everyone is on the same accord. Educators have to make different
decisions day-to-day. Most educators that teach at the same grade level collaborate. Most of
them typically come together as a team and make small decisions. All educators should be a part
of the decisions making process that is happening within their school district.
In any event, despite how much logic people put in their decisions, personality will
always affect the way people make choices. In this case, experience, and most importantly
individual character are inevitable factors, but proactive self-awareness is fundamental in helping
how people weigh their decision making. Therefore the most exciting thing about decision
making is that they are dependent on the individual. Usually, every human being will make their
own unique decisions because personality informs every decision people make (Higgins, 2000).
Comprehensively an individual personality defines how he/she respond to others and the world
around them. Generally speaking, teacher profession plays an adamant role to mold the future of
future generations. Also, this career involves high commitment such as caring, understanding as
well as making critical decisions regarding students (Freeman, 1989). People, on the other hand,
have different factors that motivate them to choose teaching as a profession. My primary
motivation career as a teacher emancipate from my urge to transform society into a better place.
Decision-making and teaching as a profession are much related in the sense that teachers make
many decisions in efforts to promote students learning. Therefore in alignment with teaching as
my future career goal, I expect to plan, implement as well as assess to be part of my day to day
Conclusion (200 to 300 words)
Summarize the importance of the topics within the learning and cognition domain and their applicability within the psychology profession for the chosen audience.
- The Handbook….. Must be 12 to 15 pages in length (see instructions and rubric for each section and sub-topic) following the as a guide. Although a handbook differs from a written paper, all citations and references must be formatted according to as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a title page with the required information from the handbook template:
- Title of handbook
- Student’s name
- Institution’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must use at least six scholarly sources in addition to the required resources.
- The table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
- Must include the sections and subsections required as indicated in the handbook template.
- Must address the topics with critical thought and substantiated assertions.
- Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in .
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in .Assignment: Learning and Cognition Handbook