Assignment 1.2: Perform an Introduction Speech
Perform an Introduction Speech
Perform an introduction speech
In this assignment, you will create a delivery outline and deliver an introduction speech.
- A one- to two-page (250- to 500-word) paper
- A two- to four-minute introduction speech – Keep in mind that you should perform your speech to make sure it meets the 2-4 minute requirement. Just time yourself as you perform your speech.
Step 1 Create an outline.
Using the preparation outline you created in Assignment 1.1, create a delivery outline for your introduction speech.
- Using a different file name, save a copy of the Assignment 1.1 document in which you created the preparation outline.
- Modify the preparation outline to make it a delivery outline. You will most likely use this as your speaker notes, so keep in mind that you do not need more than 1 or 2 index cards for notes. Use bullet points from your outline as your notes. Hit the main points for your speech from your outline.
Step 2 Practice your speech.
Practice using your delivery outline to deliver your introduction speech. Print your delivery outline so you can use it as your speaker notes.
- Before you begin your practice delivery, imagine that you are standing in front of your target audience and think about the specific purpose you identified for your speech.
- Remember that your speech should last between two and four minutes.
- Keep track of the total time it takes you to deliver your speech to stay within this time frame.
- Deliver your speech at least once all the way through.
Step 3 Present your speech.
- Remember to pay attention to the audience’s nonverbal communication and adjust as necessary.
Step 4 Answer the questions.
In a one-page (250-word) paper, address the following:
- Describe any issues you encountered during the delivery of your speech.
- How many times did you practice delivering your speech before you felt comfortable presenting it?
- What aspects of your speech delivery improved the most as a result of your practice?